Since it’s launch last November, Sony has been improving the core experience of the PS4 operating system through a series of Firmware updates – the latest of which is now officially live. Firmware 2.0 also known by it’s code name ‘Masamune’ is quite possibly the biggest one yet. In a post on the European PlayStation blog, Sony announced that the firmware would hit today, see below for a list of the most crucial new features.
- Share Play – Share in a co-op game with a friend online, even if they don’t own a copy of the game
- YouTube support – Along with a dedicated YouTube App, gamers will now be able to upload video clips directly to YouTube from the console. This was one of the most requested features and up until now, Facebook was the only service that players could upload video to. A later firmware allowed us to copy video onto a USB stick in order to upload to YouTube – however the inclusion of direct-to-YouTube uploading is a welcome addition.
- Personalised Themes – Just like the PS3 before it, PS4 will now offer the ability to customise the main home screen with a variety of different themes and colour schemes.
- Play music from a USB drive – Now you can play music directly from a USB drive, rather than having to use the Music Unlimited service. (Let us play videos from external media drives next please!)
- Facebook style friend suggestions – PS4 will now offer friend suggestions based on mutual friends and interests, this can be found in the ‘Whats new’ Section
- Improved content management – Content on the PS4 home screen has been streamlined, making it easier to find your most played games along with advanced sorting and filtering of your content.
- improved Live Streaming – improvements have been made to the Live Stream functionality of the PS4, including support for archiving broadcasts and improving the search filters in the ‘live from playstation’ App
As you can see Firmware 2.0 is a pretty hefty update, bringing a lot of great new features – some of which players have been requesting for a long time. What do you think of these new features? is there something you feel was left off that should have been included? let us know in the comments!